Reading Notes Chapter 9: Writing for Radio and Television
03/11/2010 § Leave a comment
In chapter 9 of our text, writing for radio and television is discussed. Below are a few points I found to be interesting and extremely helpful.
- 94% of adults over 18 listed to the radio on a daily basis, with a total estimated audience of about 22.5 million
- Radio news releases have to be written so that a radio broadcaster can read them directly on air.
- PSA: public service announcement- an unpaid announcement that promotes the programs of government or nonprofit agencies or that serves the public interest
- RMT: radio media tours- a spokesperson conducting a series of round-the-country, one-on-one interviews from one central location.
- VNR: video news release- 90 second news report with voiceover narration on an audio channel, has extra soundbites and b-rolls, has a clear identification of the video source, and has script
- SMT: satellite media tour- television equivalent to RMTs